Sep 19, 2009

Temple Trekking Begins


I got to sleep in today which was reenergizing. We met in the lobby at 11:30 to start temple trekking. Our first stop was Ta Prohm, the jungle overtaken temple. There’s a special feeling you get when you’re in Angkor and walking to your first temple- it’s a combination of nerves, utter happiness, goosebumps, expectations, and contentment. I saw the wat from afar with a huge tree growing out of the center of it and I knew that on the other side were the roots, an image I’ve admired countless times online, in books, and movies. You immediately see apsaras on the pathways and doorways- I stopped to take a quick picture of me posing like one.


After walking through the entrance I turned left and saw it. Huge

tree roots probably 20 feet tall hold up two walls and then jut up into the blue sky. I heard myself sighing over and over as I kept turning corners to see another massive tree. I was walking around the 8th wonder of the world freely- able to see, smell, touch, and hear the temple. I’m sure all these places will be locked down for tourism in coming years, so I had a great appreciation for where I was and what it took for me to experience it all.


From Ta Prohm we ventured to a not-as-well-recognized temple named Te Keo. Poleak asked the group who would like to climb it and I immediately raised my hand in enthusiasm as if I were 7 years old. I was the only one! I heard someone say, “well, we’re going to climb another one later today right?” I was a little shocked, but to each their own I guess. It took me hard work, saving money, lots of research, and a heap load of guts to get to this wondrous place and I was going to climb the temple! Mark shared my opinion and happened to have his headphones in when Poleak asked if we’d like to make the ascent, but he wanted to as well. We went up to the top taking pictures along the way. The stairs were exceptionally steep, to the point where you have to get on your hands and knees to ensure you don’t fall. I’m so glad I did it.

From Te Keo we went to Bayon, a temple full of the king’s face. It will probably be my favorite of them all; for some reason I was so comfortable here. I think I felt safe with all the faces looking out over the land, protecting those inside. It was an eery feeling, but lovely. I also appreciated taking photos of all the faces, especially since we got there at a great time of day (roughly 4pm when the sun wasn’t as intense and cast beautiful shadows over the stone). I’ve really fallen for photography on this trip and want to learn more about it when I get back to the U.S.


The day ended with the group of us walking up Phnom Bakheng to see Angkor Wat from a distance and watch the sunset. There were maybe 1500 people on top of the temple all trying to find a good spot to watch. It was a magical event, although too touristy for me. I did enjoy however thinking about how many different countries were represented a-top the hill.


Mark and I grabbed a quick dinner at a local restaurant that happened to be playing the football game he was sweating over. Unfortunately his team lost, but the food was great. After that it was off to bed for an early rise to visit the infamous Angkor Wat.


1 comment:

  1. that was the exact tree i took a picture with some korean girl because she thought i was famous! her friend came up to me and asked if i would pose with her...oh the benefits of being asian haha!

    ReplyDelete